Sunday, December 14, 2008

No appreciation: My rant.

Ahhh I've spent so much money on my students. For prize box stuff, crafts, everyday supplies, classroom storage, and classroom necessities (pocket charts, etc). I also have weekly lunches with one student and I get our "dessert"- some cookies & snacks. It adds up. I now have no money. Haha, my fiance kids around with me sometimes saying I spend to frivolously. And I have to admit I do, but not the usual way people are frivolous with their money. I don't spend it on me! I haven't gotten new clothes in I don't know how long! I always feel guilty spending money on myself when I know I should save. But I guess I have no guilty feelings about spending all my money on my kids because it's for someone else. :) Ahhh I need to not be such a *newbie* teacher (still in first few years of teaching) and put so much into my class.

I spend so much TIME also on my class. I have weekly and monthly newsletters. My monthly newsletters are all themed and contain pictures of activities and things that happened the previous months like writing celebrations, field trips, and kids birthdays. (Oh that's another thing my money goes to- ink cartridges)
In November I had a 3 page newsletter with pictures, captions, stories, and blurbs about what we were going to do academically in November. I was so proud of it. I printed 20 copies of it on my own computer using my laser printer, my ink, and my paper. The kids were excited about it. I sent it home. I see parents the next day as they pick up their children. Nothing. Not one parent commented on the newsletter. A few days later, some students' newsletter is still in their folder where I had put it. Thanks a lot parents. Do you know how much work and time I put into your children? A simple, quick, acknowledgement or thank you would be much obliged.
A friend (a colleague from my school) told me not to expect much. Most parents are like that with this population of students. If they're talking to you it's to complain about other children bothering their child or about the homework. Rarely do they come and thank you just for your time and effort.

Do my parents understand that if their children were with the other teacher of the grade they wouldn't be getting HALF of what I provide for these kids? Do they know that their child wouldn't be learning HALF as much as what they are learning in my class? No appreciation. Most teachers do more than their job requires. We don't just go in there and pass out worksheets. We don't have them open their text books and read. If we care enough, we make learning interactive, creative. We spend our money on supplies to supplement the hands on experiences for our students. We also celebrate our kids' learning. My kids have told me, "Aww, it's time to go home? But we're having fun!" and it's math time.

I obviously don't teach for the recognition or for others to praise me. If I did, I would have quit a long time ago. But it would be nice once in a while. Just a simple, "Thank you for what you do."

No comments: