Sunday, December 14, 2008

1st year story: Kyle the Killer

They should really tell you in education courses more about the 1st year obstacles you might encounter. There are certain things that I needed to have in order, especially for the first day and I didn't. These are small things that I didn't even consider. A morning routine. How kids enter the classroom and unpack. I thought I could just tell the kids, "Good morning. Come in, unpack, and sit at your seats." First of all, not all kids will unpack at the same time. Kids need something to do at all times. If not, they become troublesome. What do kids need to unpack? Where should they put it? Where do they hang their backpacks and jackets?
So the first day, I did not have all of that thought out. Not that I wasn't prepared, I just didn't realize I had to think it through that far. I think I've written about my first morning in another blog, so I'll skip all that part.

We haven't done anything all morning because I've had to correct students' misbehavior. I give paper to students to do some writing. I tell them to write about something they did over the summer. Typical assignment for the first few weeks. I had already moved Kyle the Killer to sit by himself off to the side away from kids near the backpacks. I had seen after a few weeks that Kyle is a very violent kid and pretty much hates everyone in the class. Today, Kyle starts writing on his own. Yes! Good for him. I'll leave him alone and hopefully we'll have a peaceful afternoon. Again, spoke too soon.

Billy decides to get something from his backpack. On his way, he also decides to antagonize Kyle. Stupid stupid Billy. Have you not seen what this kid is capable of? You deserve whatever is coming to you. Kyle only moves his eyes from his paper and starts huffing and puffing. Oh gosh... I'm across the classroom quickly moving towards Kyle to try to calm him down and talk to the other kid. Billy doesn't say anything more but turns to go back to his desk and on his way bumps Kyle's desk. Kyle had his pencil point on his paper in mid-sentence and it made him make a scribble line across his paper. That was all it took. Kyle breaks his pencil and growls the most menacing growl I have ever heard. His hands grip the bottom of his desk and he THROWS the desk to the front of the room. It flips over and bangs on the floor and the cabinet. It hits one of the girls who starts to cry and hold onto her arm. I go to her briefly to make sure she's okay. Kyle grabs Billy by the collar of his shirt and shoves him to the ground. Billy quickly gets up, cursing at Kyle. I get all the kids up and crowd them to the other side of the room before I go try to calm Kyle down. Kyle winds up and punches Billy in the jaw. Billy falls to the floor, crying, holding his bloody mouth. "Kyle!" I scream. I go straight to him. Kyle is also crying. "He bumped my desk and made me mess up."
Are you serious???? Ahhhhh I can't do this! I can't deal with this!
"Okay, I understand. Let's calm ourselves." I put my arm around him and give him a hug. I walk him to the door. I'm going to call Mr. P (the VP) to take you on a walk to let you breathe a little. We'll give you some space."
Now you understand the pseudonym: Kyle the Killer?

I definitely got to know a lot of my students and saw how they ticked- sometimes. Too bad I wasn't experienced enough to 'fix' them. Or at least to tame them a bit. I grew some thick skin that year. I also cried more than I've ever cried before.

No comments: