Friday, November 7, 2008

We're a faaaamily

I've worked really hard this year to build a strong sense of community within my classroom. Today I saw the cutest and most wonderful thing. I picked up my students from lunch. They were playing Duck Duck Goose while waiting for me to get there. As soon as they saw me they all came rushing over to me to give me hugs and tell me all about their lunch. But, then I see a few kids lagging behind. One student had started crying-he's sooo super sensitive and a bit immature- because he didn't get chosen to be the Goose. The cute part was that he had about 5 class mates, rubbing and patting him on the back and holding his hands with these solemn faces saying to him, "It's okay." "Maybe next time Jose." "Don't be sad. Sometimes I don't get picked either."
Oh gosh, it made my heart melt. I let the classmates console him the whole way up to the room. By the time he made it to the classroom, I gave him a little squeeze for a hug and asked him if he was okay. "I am now Ms. T."

No comments: