Friday, November 7, 2008

Cookie Monster vs. The Count

I've had many lessons on the election with my first graders. We've read Duck for President and answered the prompt: If I were running for president of the farm, I would...
They wrote down what they would do and drew a picture to match. I loved the answers I got. So cute. Here are some:
"If I were president of the farm, I would give the animals treats for all their hard work."
"... I would give them a beautiful and warm place to live" (and the drawing looked like the inside of a house with beds and pillows and blankets :)
"... I would pay them for all their work." (smart kid. already thinking about capitalism)

We related Duck for President to real life. We looked at pictures of the presidential candidates and their running mates. We also looked at the picture of George Bush. I was surprised to hear them yell Obama's name as soon as I pulled out his picture. They also knew McCain's picture. Good for them. I don't think I knew anything about politics or the elections and presidential candidates when I was in first grade.

We read Scholastic News about the presidency and learned fun facts about each presidential candidate. I love this magazine.

The kids were so into the election, I decided to keep going with it. I found this great lesson online about Cookie Monster vs. The Count. We're having an election to vote for our (imaginary) Helper of the Class. Every time two kids are in an argument, Cookie Monster promises to give everyone cookies. The Count promises to bring the two kids together and talk about the problem to fix it.
Of course everyone wants Cookie Monster. But I was surprised with the students who voted for The Count. Kids never cease to surprise you. One of them, I figured would get it- this student's one of my brightest. The other though... She is an English Learner. She cannot verbalize complete thoughts in English and won't try in Spanish either (I'd accept either). She seems so lost sometimes when we have our discussions that I'm not sure she really understands what's going on even with all the visual cues I use. Yet here she comes with her paper, "I well vote the count because tak pepol fix." *I will vote for The Count because he talks to people to fix their problems.* Good for you ELL! :) Way to have a deeper understanding and think for yourself!

Anyway, so over the course of a few days, when student disputes come up, we talk about what would happen if we had either Helper and which one would help the situation more. Then we will have our own election. I will make a "voting booth" for students to vote in and a ballot box to drop their ballots in. This teaches them the process of an election and that they have the power to decide! It teaches them the importance of voting and engages them to learn about politics!
All I have to say is that I'm going to have a kick ass bulletin board. :)

No comments: