Sunday, October 26, 2008

Subbing Adventure

I wanted to post something I retrieved from my "computer journal" from back when I was a substitute teacher. Interesting tidbit:

I subbed today for a 5th grade class. Ms. D's class. Ms. D has such a powerful demeanor. She has a low booming voice that makes her students freeze. I see her class in line going to lunch completely quiet and in a straight line. Ms. D leads her class on the basis of respect. She does not use fear to get them to listen. I always hear her refer to respect. Respect for each other. Respect for authority figures. She has built such a community in her class. Any outsider would think that Ms. D’s class is such a good class. But take away Ms. D- and they go WILD.
So I had them for the whole day. I had subbed for them before- 2 periods. They gave me a hard time. But I talked to them about respect and that if they respected me they would earn another letter of the word RESPECT on the board and if they got the whole word up there- I would teach them some hip hop. I ended up teaching them a little bit and they were so excited. I felt like I gained their respect by the end of the period. They saw that I could relate to them on a different level. I felt a little nervous but also kind of confident taking that class today since I knew they knew about my hip hop background.
I went to pick them up in the auditorium. There were about 8 of them there. I said hi and that I would be their sub today. Some of them cheered. That’s not a good sign. That tells me that they’re happy because they’re looking forward to a day of freedom and playing games with the sub. I did not smile. I asked them to stand up and get in line. As soon as we left the auditorium, I told them, “I expect a straight and quiet line.” They got in line and were pretty quiet. A few whispers here and there, but for the most part good. By the time we got up to the classroom, I had gained about another 9 students who had come late. I had them line up outside the classroom and told them again my expectations. “You will enter the classroom quietly, unpack, and get out a reading book to read for about 15 minutes.” I waited a minute until the chatting ceased and then allowed them to enter. Ms. D had left a schedule on the board. Language Arts pages for the first half hour. I asked the kids to refer to the board for the schedule and to note that they had a Language Arts assignment first. I told them that they had to be in their seats and quietly working. I already saw that "Notorious" could be a huge problem and wise ass. He is actually notorious in the school for being extremely disrespectful to all authority figures (principal and vice principals included) and for fighting. But I spoke to him privately about respecting each other and he began to behave for me. The class for the most part was behaving really well. I was excited and thought, “This is going to be a good day.” Unfortunately, I spoke too soon.
At around 9:10am, two more students (boys) entered the classroom. JJ and B. “Heeeeyyyy!!! Was up my brothuuuuusss!” The class’ tone immediately changed. They laughed and started talking. Many of them responded to the two newcomers by getting up from their seats and greeting them with a high five. I should have immediately sent them outside, spoken to them, and asked them to come in again correctly. But I didn’t. First, I focused on calming the class down. Whenever I get really firm and strict, I am still always respectful as well. “Sit down please.” “I need you quiet please.” “Thank you.” That is the basis that I try to gain their respect. I am the authority figure in the room. You need to listen to me, but in return I will always be respectful in what I ask of you.
JJ and B entered the room loud and obnoxious. They went to put their lunches away in a bin in the corner and on their way, turned on the stereo. Again, they received laughs. They were obviously “too cool for school” and wanted to rile up their class and give me a hard time. Notorious, who had actually been behaving, stood up and joined them. It was a show. In a matter of seconds, I had lost the class and I had no idea what to do.
I went straight to the three musketeers of trouble and again gave them a talk about respect. They gave me a distant “okay” and then went to their seats (which of course were not their real seats but I didn’t know). I then addressed the class and told them that they had a great start to the day and that they needed to return to that. The class quieted down a little- but I knew I was in for a loooong, tough day.

No comments: